Consecutive interpretation is a special form of oral communication between people speaking different languages, representing different cultures, and it is carried out in any situation of intercultural communication in order to exchange thoughts, information, knowledge, labor results, products, emotions, values, relationships in the process of interaction.
A consecutive interpreter is a mediator of intercultural communication, and the development of emotive-empathic interaction skills of an interpreter promotes the successfulness of such communication.
Interpreters’ communicative skills of emotive-empathic interaction within consecutive interpretation may be defined as a communicative and speech act in a foreign language communication implemented independently and in an optimal way. The act is accomplished at the level of interactionexchange of emotions and relations both in the frames of independent component and in the frames of processing the cognitive and interactive components. This enables to carry out the emotiveempathic interaction under any conditions and new situations of consecutive interpretation thanks to the full totality of qualities.
The aim of the paper is to consider issues related to emotions, empathy, their role in the process of communication, and their levels of empathy. Skills of emotive-empathic interactions and relevant to national culture, also the issues of the development of communicative skills in the mentioned interaction of the future interpreters, determined the conditions for their formation are described. In addition the paper presents definition of the communicative ability of the emotive-empathic interaction of future interpreters; considers a set of exercises aimed at the formation of these skills. The results of the scientific research are presented by the set of exercises.
1. Bartłomiejczyk M., Interpreting quality as perceived by trainee interpreters, Interpret. Transl. Train. 1 (2) 2007, 247–267.
2. Bontempo, Karen, and Jemina Napier. “Evaluating Emotional Stability as a Predictor of Interpreter Competence and Aptitude for Interpreting.” Interpreting 13 (1): 2011, 85–105.
3. Brisau, André, Rita Godijns, and Chris Meuleman. “Towards a Psycholinguistic Profile of the Interpreter.” Meta 39 (1): 1994, –P. 87–94.
4. Davidson B., The interpreter as institutional gatekeeper: the social-linguistic
5. Ekman P., Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life, Time Books, New York, 2003.
6. Elfenbein H.A., Ambady N., On the universality and cultural specificity of emotion recognition: a meta-analysis, Psychol. Bull. 128 (2), 2002. – P. 203–235
7. Knapp K. Sprachmittlertaetigkeit in interkultureller Kommunikation // Rehbein J. (Hg.): Interkulturelle Kommunikation. – Tuebungen: Narr, 1985. – P. 451–463.
8. Pöchhacker, Franz. “Assessing Aptitude for Interpreting: The SynCloze Test.” Interpreting 13 (1): 2011, – P. 106–120.
9. Ramos Caro, Marina, and Ana Rojo. “‘Feeling’ Audio Description: Exploring the Impact of AD on Emotional Response.” Translation Spaces 3: 2014, –P. 133–150.
10. Rojo, Ana, Marina Ramos Caro, and Javier Valenzuela. 2014. “The Emotional Impact of Translation: A Heart Rate Study”. Journal of Pragmatics 71: –P. 31–44.
11. Rosiers, Alexandra, June Eyckmans, and Daniel Bauwens. 2011. “A Story of Attitudes and Aptitudes? Investigating Individual Difference Variables within the Context of Interpreting.” Interpreting 13 (1): 53–69.
12. Timarová, Šarka, and Harry Ungoed-Thomas. “Admission Testing for Interpreting Courses.” The Interpreter and Translator Trainer 2 (1): 2008, –P. 29–46.
13. Wadensjö, Cecilia. 1998. Interpreting as Interaction. London: Longman.
14. Zimnyaya I. A. Psychological aspects of teaching speaking a foreign language. Moscow, 2005. 160 p.
15. Zimnyaya I. A. Psychology of teaching a foreign languages at school. Moscow, Prosveshchenie, 1991, 220 p.
16. Izard K.E. Human emotions – М.: Moscow univ. publ.house, 1980.
17. Karpova Yu.A. Formation of communicative skills of emotive-empathic interaction of the future interpreter: Abstract of Pedagogics cand. diss. – Perm, 2011.
18. Karpova Yu.A., Serova T.S. Communicative skills of the interpreter's emotive-empathic interaction in situations of oral consecutive two-way translation // Language and Culture. 3. – Tomsk, 2010.– pp. 108–118.
19. Kreylin G.E. Nonverbal Semiotics: Body Language And Natural Language. – М.: New literary review, 2002.
20. Leont’ev А.А. Psychological aspects of personality and activity // Foreign languages at school. 1974.
21. Leont’ev А.А. Rech' i obshcheniye // Foreign languages at school. 1974. #6 (2). pp. 80–85.
22. Leont’ev А.А. Language, speech and speech activity. М., 1969. –P.214.
23. Leont’ev А.N. Selected psychologically works. М., 1983. Т. 2.
24. Moshchanskaya Ye.YU. Moschanskaya E.Yu. Discourse in a situation of consecutive interpretation // Theory and practice of translation and professional training of translators: interpretation: materials of the international. scientific method. conf. (Perm, November 30 – December 2, 2007). – Perm: Publishing house of Perm state. tech. univ., 2008. – pp. 94–101.
25. Passov E.I. Пассов Е.И. Fundamentals of communicative methods of teaching foreign language communication. М.: 1989.
26. Passov E.I. Situation, topic, social contact // General methodology, 1991, М.: Rus. yaz.
27. Serova T.S. Psychology of translation as a complex type of foreign language speech activity. Perm: Publishing house of Perm state. tech. univ., 2008. – P. 211.
28. Serova T.S. Emotive-empathic component of foreign language business communication in business // The Role of Universities in the International Integration of Regions: Proceedings of the Intern. Scientific-practical conf. Tyumen: Tyumen State univ., 2006. pp.163–165.
29. Serova T.S., Goreva Т.А. Formation of communicative-speech interaction skills in teaching foreign language business communication, 2005, Perm: Perm State tech. univ., –P.167.
30. Serova T.S., Maletina L.V. Teaching foreign language monologue speaking in conjunction with informative reading in the process of professional training of a future engineer // Perm Bulletin. State Tech. University. Problems of Linguistics and Pedagogy. 2010. # 4 (30). – pp. 22–32.
31. Shadrikov V.D. Psychology of human activity and abilities. –М., 1996.
32. Shevandrin N.I. Social psychology in education: Textbook. allowance. M.: Vlados, 1995/2005. P554.
33. Ekman P. Psychology of emotions. I know what you feel. – SPb.: Piter, 2010.
Abduganieva, Jameela Researcher
"DEVELOPING CONSECUTIVE INTERPRETER’S COMMUNICATIVE SKILLS OF EMOTIVE-EMPATHIC,"
Philology Matters: Vol. 2020
, Article 7.
DOI: 10. 36078/987654452
Available at: https://uzjournals.edu.uz/philolm/vol2020/iss3/7