The progressing of the Uzbek linguistics and learning approaches to language, especially, problems of cognitive linguistics have been analyzed in the article. The results show that cognitive approach and methods of cognitive language materials carried out legislation of lexical units of the Uzbek language, as the materials of the Uzbek language indicate the reasons of conceptual connection of linguistic units, including the semantic factor of cognitive linguistic connection were illuminated in the article. The main characteristics of idiomatic units were based on conceptual connection. Some idiomatic words of the Uzbek language were translated into English with their equivalents. A variety of Uzbek language materials is based on the perception of reality, knowledge, opportunities linguistic memory of people. The article is dedicated to the research of ways of idiomaticity in the Uzbek word formation. It describes various causes of emergence of idiomaticity in compound words. The aim of the research work is the study of the cognitive aspect of idiomatic words of the Uzbek language. The role of cognitive mechanisms in word formation and verbalization of language units is considered as one of the topical problems of linguistics. The author of the article analyzes the cognitive bases of the formation of the idiomatic words in the Uzbek language. Conceptual metonymy, conceptual metaphor and metaphtonymy were demonstrated as basic cognitive mechanisms in the formation of idiomatic words. Moreover, the article covers the problems of engendering of idiomatic words as a result of human being’s understanding of the world, their reflection in human being's cognition and the process of reflection of cognitive mechanisms in the formation of the concept.
1. Arnold I.V. (1986). The English Word. Moskva: Visshaya shkola.
2. Ayvor A. Richards. (1990). Metafora [Metaphor]. Teoriya metafora [Theory of Metaphor]: Sbornik: Per. s.ang.,fr., isp., pols., yaz. / Vstup. St. i sost. N.D.Artyunovoy; Obsh. red. N.D.Artyunovoy i M.A.Jurniskiy. Moskva: Progress.
3. Bally Ch. (1961). Fransuskaya stilistika [French stylistics]. Moskva: Izdatelstvo Innostranniye Literaturi.
4. Croft W., D.Alan Cruse. (2004). Cognitive Linguistics. New York by Cambridge University Press. 85 2019 Vol. 29 No. 2. Series: LINGUISTICS
5. Friedrich Ungerer, HansJorgSchmid. (2006). An introduction to cognitive linguistics. Second edition. Great Britain: PEARSON LONGMAN.
6. Glaser, R. (1988). The grading of Idiomaticity as a Presupposition for a Taxonomy of Idioms, in Hullen, W. and Schulze, R. (Eds.). Understanding the Lexicon: Meaning, Sense and World Knowledge in Lexical Semantics. Tubinger: Niemeyer, 264279.
7. Goossens L. (1990). Metaphtonymy: The Interaction of metaphor and metonymy in figurative expressions for linguistic action. // Cognitive Linguistics. – Berlin; NewYork: Mouton de Gruyter, 1 (3), 323340.
8. Hajiyev S.K. (2007). So`z manosining ko`chishi bilan bog`liq lingvistik xodisalar [Linguistic phenomena related to the transference of meaning of the word Abstract of PhD diss]. Filol. fan. nomz. ... dissertasiya. Tashkent.
9. Hajiyev А. (2007). O`zbek tili so`z yasalishi tizimi [The word formation of Uzbek]. Toshkent: O`qituvchi.
10. Hockett, C. (1958). A course in Modern Linguistics. New York: Macmillan.
11. Jan Svanlund. (2007). Metaphor and convention. Cognitive Linguistics, 18 (1), 4789.
12. Jesperson. O. (1954). Modern English Grammar on Historical Principles Part I Morphology. Copenhagen: K.Munbesgaerd.
13. Jose OrtegaIGasset. (1990). Dve velikiye metafori [Two great metaphors]. Teoriya metafora [Theory of Metaphor]: Sbornik: Per. s.ang.,fr., isp.,pols., yaz. / Vstup. St. i sost. N.D.Artyunovoy; Obsh. red. N.D.Artyunovoy i M.A.Jurniskiy. Moskva: Progress.
14. Kovecses Z., Radden G. (1998). Metonymy: Developing a Cognitive Linguistic View. – Cognitive Linguistics, 9 (1), 37-77.
15. Lakoff, G., Johnson, M. (2003). Metaphors We live by. London: The University of Chicago Press.
16. Madaliyev B. (1966). Xozirgi o`zbek tilida qo`shma so`zlar [Compound words in Uzbek]. Tashkent: Fan.
17. Mirtojiyev М. (2010). O`zbek tili semasiologiyasi [Semasiology of Uzbek]. Tashkent: Mumtoz so`z.
18. Reformatskiy А.А. (2006). Vvedeniye v yazikoznaniye [Introduction to Linguistics]. Moskva: Aspekt press.
19. Smirnistkiy A.I. (1956). Leksikologiya angliyskogo yazika [English Lexicology]. Moskva: Litiratura inostrannix yazikax.
20. Yazikovaya nominasiya (vidi naimenovaniy) (1977). [Language nomination (species names)]. Moskva: Nauka.
Yuldashev, Akmal Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
"COGNITIVE ASPECT OF THE UZBEK IDIOMATIC WORDS AND THEIR EQUIVALENTS IN ENGLISH,"
Philology Matters: Vol. 2019
, Article 2.
DOI: 10. 36078/987654348
Available at: https://uzjournals.edu.uz/philolm/vol2019/iss2/2