A method for extraction - conductometric determination of scandium and thorium with tributyl phosphate and trioctyl phosphine oxide in kaolin was developed. The equivalent electrical conductivity of the complex of scandium and thorium with 2,7-dinitrozo-1,8-dihydroxynaphthalene-3,6-disulfonic acid was found. A scheme for the separation and determination of kaolin content is proposed. The isotherms of scandium and thorium extraction are constructed. It was shown that at a concentration of nitric acid of 15.6 M they do not interfere with the determination of thorium and scandium.
1. Busev A.I., Tiptsova V.G., Ivanov V.M. Practical guide to analytical chemistry of rare elements. Khimiya, Moscow, 156–168, (1966). [in Russian]
2. Vasiliev P.I. Methods of accelerated analysis of silicates. Gosgeolizdat, 25–30, (1951). [in Russian]
3. Simonova T.N., Fedotov A.N., Alemasova N.V. Extraction of scandium nitrate and thiocyanate complexes using two-phase aqueous systems and the determination of scandium. Journal of Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 73, Issue 1, 18–22 (2018).
4. Kuzmin V.I., Kuzmina A.A. Features of scandium chloride extraction by a mixture of tributyl phosphate and molecular iodine. Russian Journal of General Chemistry. Vol. 87, Issue 12, 2865–2869 (2017).
5. Denisova S.A., Golovkina A.V., Lesnov A.E. Extraction of scandium by diantipyryl alkanes from naphthalene-2-sulfonate solutions in extraction systems of various types. Journal of Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 70, Issue 2, 107–112 (2015).
6. Turanov A.N., Karandashev V.K., Bondarenko N.A. Extraction of scandium and rare earth elements by phosphoryl-substituted azapodand. Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, Vol. 56, Issue 7, 1133–1138 (2011).
7. Morgallyuk V.P., Sayiulina A.M., Tananaev I.G., Goryunov E.I., Goryunova I.B., Molchanova G.N., Baulina T.V., Nifantyev E.E., Mysoedov B.F. N-diphenylphosphoryl-N'-alkyl urea-a new type of extractants for the concentration of actinoids. Report. Academy of Sciences, Vol. 403, Issue 2, 201–204 (2005). [in Russian]
8. Yaftian M.R., Burgard M., Wieser C., Dieleman C.B., Matt D. Extractive properties towards rare-earth metal ions of calix arenes substituted at the narrow rim by phosphoryl and amide groups. Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, Vol. 16, Issue 5, 1131–1149 (1998).
9. Smirnov I.V., Karavan M.D., Efremova T.I., Babain V.A., Miroshnichenko S.I., Cherenok S.A., Kal'chenko V.I. Extraction of americium, europium, technetium and palladium from nitric acid media. Radiochemistry, Vol. 49, Issue 5, 482–492 (2007).
10. Turanov A.N., Karandashev V.K., Sharova E.V., Artyushin O.I., Odinets I.L. Extraction of scandium (III) bis (diphenylphosphorylmethyl-carbamoyl) by alkanes. Russian Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, Vol. 56, Issue 3, 467–472 (2011).
11. Turanov A.N., Karandashev V.K., Evseeva N.K., Baulin V.E., Ushakova A.P. Influence of structure of phosphoryl-containing ligands on extraction of americium and europium from nitric acid solutions. Radiochemistry, Vol. 41, Issue 3, 219–224 (1999). [in Russian]
12. Narita H., Yaita T., Tamura K., Tachimori S. Solvent extraction of trivalent lanthanides with N,N'-Dimethyl-N,N'-Diphenyl-3-Oxapentanediamide. Radiochimica Acta, Vol. 81, Issue 4, 223–226 (1998).
13. Sasaki Y., Sugo Y., Suzuki S., Tachimori S. The novel extractantsdiglycolamides for the extraction of lanthanides and actinides in HNO3-n-dodecane system. New-York. Solvent Extraction and Ion Exchange, Vol. 19, Issue 1, 91–103 (2001).
14. Zhu Z.X., Sasaki Y., Suzuki S., Kimura T. Cumulative study on solvent extraction of elements by N,N,N',N'-tetraoctyl-3-oxapentanediamide (TODGA) from nitric acid into n-dodecane. Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 527, Issue 2, 163-168 (2004).
15. Brigham D.M., Ivanov A.S., Moyer B.A., Delmau L.H., Bryantsev V.S., Ellis R.J. Trefoil-Shaped Outer-Sphere Ion Clusters Mediate Lanthanide(III) Ion Transport with Diglycolamide Ligands. Journal of the American Chemical Society, Vol. 139, Issue 48, 17350–17358 (2017).
16. Horwitz E.P., Dietz M.L., Nelson D.M., LaRosa J.J., Fairman W.D. Concentration and separation of actinides from urine using a supported bifunctional organophosphorus extractant. Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 238, 263–271 (1990).
17. Morgalyuk B.P., Molochnikova N.P., Myasoedova G.V., Sharova E.V., Artyushin O.I., Tananaev I.G. Phosphoryl-Containing Chelating Sorbents for Concentrating Actinides. Radiochemistry, Vol. 47, Issue 2, 167–170 (2005).
18. Cherkasov R.A., Galkin V.I. The Kabachnik–Fields reaction: synthetic potential and the problem of the mechanism. Russian Chemical Reviews, Vol. 67, No. 10, 857–882 (1998).
19. Garifzyanov A.R., Mikryukova E.Yu., Toropova V.F. Acid-base and extraction properties of phosphorylated amines. Journal of General Chemistry, Vol. 61, Issue 6, 1342–1345 (1991). [in Russian]
20. El-Shahawi M.S., Othman M.A., Abdel Fadeel M.A. Kinetics, thermodynamic and chromatographic behaviour of the uranyl ions sorption from aqueous thiocyanate media onto polyurethane foams. Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 546, Issue 2, 221–228 (2005).
21. Yang X., Feng Y., He Z., Stoffella P.J. Molecular mechanisms of heavy metal hyperaccumulation and phytoremediation. Journal of Trace Elements in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 18, Issue 4, 339–353 (2005).
22. Jain V.K., Pandya R.A., Pillai S.G., Shrivastava P.S. Simultaneous preconcentration of uranium(VI) and thorium(IV) from aqueous solutions using a chelating calixarene anchored chloromethylated polystyrene solid phase. Talanta, Vol. 70, Issue 2, 257–266 (2006).
23. Aydin F.A., Soylak M. Solid phase extraction and preconcentration of uranium(VI) and thorium(IV) on Duolite XAD761 prior to their inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometric determination. Talanta, Vol. 72, Issue 1, 187–192 (2007).
24. Benkhedda K., Epov V.N., Evans R.D. Flow-injection technique for determination of uranium and thorium isotopes in urine by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 381, Issue 8, 1596–1603 (2005).
25. Östhols E., Manceau A., Farges F., Charlet L. Adsorption of Thorium on Amorphous Silica: An EXAFS Study. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 194, Issue 1, 10–21 (1997).
26. Chen C.L., Wang X.K. Influence of pH, soil humic/fulvic acid, ionic strength and foreign ions on sorption of thorium(IV) onto γ-Al2O3. Applied Geochemistry, Vol. 22, Issue 2, 436–445 (2007).
27. Zuo L., Yu S., Zhou H., Tian X., Jiang J. Th(IV) adsorption on mesoporous molecular sieves: effects of contact time, solid content, pH, ionic strength, foreign ions and temperature. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 288, Issue 2, 379–387 (2011).
28. Bursali E.A., Merdivan M., Yurdakoc M. Preconcentration of uranium(VI) and thorium(IV) from aqueous solutions using low-cost abundantly available sorbent. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 283, Issue 2, 471–476 (2010).
29. Ganesh R., Robinson K.G., Chu L., Kucsmam D., Reed G.D. The Reductive precipitation of uranium by Desulfovibrio desulfuricans: evaluation of cocontaminant effects and selective removal. Water Research, Vol. 33, Issue 16, 3447–3458 (1999).
30. Kryvoruchko A.P., Yurlova L.Yu., Atamanenko I.D., Kornilovich B.Yu. Ultrafiltration removal of U(VI) from contaminated water. Desalination, Vol. 162, 229–236 (2004).
31. Donia A.M., Atia A.A., Moussa E.M.M., El-Sherif A.M., Abd El-Magied M.O. Removal of uranium(VI) from aquatic solutions using glycidyl methacrylate chelating resins. Hydrometallurgy, Vol. 95, Issues 3–4, 183–189 (2009).
32. Sodaye H., Nisan S., Poletiko C., Prabhakar S., Tewari P.K. Extraction of uranium from the concentrated brine rejected by integrated nuclear desalination plants. Desalination, Vol. 235, Issues 1–3, 9–32 (2009).
33. Mellah A., Chegrouche S., Barkat M. The removal of uranium(VI) from aqueous solutions onto activated carbon: Kinetic and thermodynamic investigations. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, Vol. 296, Issue 2, 434–441 (2006).
34. Babel S., Kurniawan T.A. Low-cost adsorbents for heavy metals uptake from contaminated water: a review. Journal of Hazardous Materials, Vol. 97, Issues 1–3, 219–243 (2003).
35. Siegel S.M., Galun M., Siegel B.Z. Filamentous fungi as metal biosorbents: A review. Water, Air, Soil Pollution, Vol. 53, Issue 3–5, 335–344 (1990).
36. Wysokowski M., Klapiszewski Ł., Moszyński D., Bartczak P., Szatkowski T., Majchrzak I., Siwińska-Stefańska K., Bazhenov V.V., Jesionowski T. Modification of Chitin with Kraft Lignin and Development of New Biosorbents for Removal of Cadmium(II) and Nickel(II) Ions. Marine Drugs, Vol. 12, Issue 4, 2245–2268 (2014).
37. Remacle J. Removal and recovery of heavy metals by biosorption. Biosorption of Heavy Metals. Ed. B. Volesky. Boca Raton, FL: CRC, 83, (1990).
38. Turanov A.N., Karandashev V.K., Kalashnikova I.P., Baulin V.E., Tsivadze A.Yu. Extraction of U(VI), Th(IV), and REE(III) from Nitric Acid Solutions with 2,6-Bis(diphenylphosphorylmethyl)pyridine N-Oxide. Radiochemistry, Vol. 60, Issue 3, 243–247 (2018).
39. Korshunov B.G., Stefanyuk S.L. Introduction to chlorine metallurgy of rare elements. Metallurgy, Moscow, 343, (1970). [in Russian]
40. Mikhailichenko A.I., Pimenova R.M. Chemistry of extraction processes. Nauka, Moscow, 257–261, (1972). [in Russian]
41. Mahanty B., Satpati A.K., Mohapatra P.K. Development of a potentiometric sensor for europium(III) based on N, N, N', N'-tetraoctyldiglycolamide (TODGA) as the ionophore. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 808, 340–347 (2018). DOI: 10.1016/j.jelechem.2017.11.072.
42. Callow R.J. The Industrial chemistry of lanthanous, yttrium, thorium and uranium. Pergamon Press, Oxford, 653, (1967).
43. Gschneidner K., Eyring L. Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths. Non-metallic Compounds - I. North Holland Publ. Co., Amsterdam, (1979).
44. Semenov E.I. Mineralogy of rare earths. AN SSSR, Moscow, 412 (1963). [in Russian]
45. Kutlimurotova N.H., Sharipova L.A., Smanova Z.A. Amperometric titration of thorium with β-hydroxyethylimide solution. Universum: Chemistry and biology, Vol. 10, Issue 40, 36–39 (2017).
46. Torgov V.G., Demidova M.G., Saprykin A.I., Nikolaeva I.V., Us T.V., Chebykin E.P. Extraction preconcentration of uranium and thorium traces in the analysis of bottom sediments by inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Journal of Analytical Chemistry, Vol. 57, Issue 4, 303–310 (2002).
47. Noronha D.M., Pius I.C., Chaudhury S. Co-precipitation of plutonium(IV) and americium(III) from nitric acid–oxalic acid solutions with bismuth oxalate. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, Vol. 313, Issue 3, 523–529 (2017).
Kutlimurotova, Nigora; Smanova, Zulayho; Tojimuhamedov, Habibulla; Yaxshiyeva, Zuhra; and Tursunqulov, Jasur
"Extraction conductometric determination of scandium and thorium in kaolins,"
Bulletin of National University of Uzbekistan: Mathematics and Natural Sciences: Vol. 1
, Article 2.
Available at: https://uzjournals.edu.uz/mns_nuu/vol1/iss3/2