Fluid power (hydraulic and pneumatic actuation) as an integral part of manufacturing and transportation has big impact in real sector of economy. In 2008, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, average efficiency of Fluid Power Systems amounted 22%, while the sales of systems using fluid power exceeded $226B. As large as the industry is, it has had little fundamental research that could lead to improved efficiency since the 1970 energy crisis. While there have been some attempts to improve fluid powered components separately, there has been lack of attention to the societal impact of the whole industry. This article analyzes energy specific measurements (consumption, emissions, efficiency) of current systems from energy perspective and stresses societal impact of improvements proposed from the fluid power research community.
- Love, L., Lanke, E., & Alles, P. (2012). Estimating the Impact (Energy, Emissions and Economics) of the US Fluid Power Industry. Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), Oak Ridge, TN.
- Belforte, G. (2000). New developments and new trends in pneumatics. In Proceedings of Sixth Triennial International Symposium on Fluid Control, Measurement and Visualization, Canada. http://fluid. power. net/techbriefs/hanghzau/ 1_5. pdf.
- Hubertus Murrenhoff - An Overview of Energy Saving Architectures for Mobile Applications, IFAS March 25, 2014
- Nervegna, N., Rundo, M.: Fluid power 2, Politeko, 2012, ISBN 978-88-97862-00-0.
- B.R. Anderson. A survey of load sensing systems, BFPR Journal, no. 13, 1980.
- H.W. Nikolaus. Loadsensing - lastunabhängige dosierung von verbraucherströmen. Ölhydraulik und Pneumatik, 38(4), 1994.
- R.N. Rathi. A load sensing hydraulic system as applies to hydraulic lift cranes. 31st National Conference on Fluid Power, 1975.
- G.K. Warren. Efficient and flexible hydraulic systems for mobile equipment. Proc. ofthe 7. Aachener Fluidtechnisches Kolloqium, 1986.
- W. Backé. Hydraulic drives with high efficiency. Fluid Power Systems and Technology (ASME), (2), p. 45-73, 1995.
- K. Ichiryu. Recent trend and future forecast of hydraulic system and control of hydraulic excavator. Proc. of the 9. Aachener Fluidtechnisches Kolloquium, 1990.
- J.P. Kipp. Load-sensing - zentralhydraulik für traktoren. Ölhydraulik und Pneumatik, No. 1, Jan. 1993.
- W. Backé. Present and future of fluid power. Journal of Systems & Control Engineering, Part I, 207(4), 1993.
- A. Wolf and U. Maier. Load-sensing systeme in der erntechnik. Ölhydraulik und Pneumatik, 45(10), 2001.
- L.G. Zarotti and N. Nervegna. Saturation problems in load-sensing architectures. Proc. 43rd National Conference on Fluid Power, volume 43, 1988.
- P. Krus. On Load Sensing Fluid Power Systems, with Special Reference to Dynamic Properties and Control Aspects. PhD thesis no. 183, Linköping University, Sweden, 1989.
- P. Krus. Modelling and analysis of the dynamic properties of mobile hydraulic systems. Proc. 2nd Bath International FPWCS, 1989.
- P. Krus and T. Persson. Dynamic properties of load sensing systems. Proc. of International Conference on Fluid Power, Tampere Finland, 1987.
- S.D. Kim, H.S. Cho, and C.O. Lee. Stability analysis of a load-sensing hydraulic system. Proc. of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, part A, 202(A2), 1988.
- Y. Sakurai, K. Takahashi, and S. Ikeo. Study on the dynamics of a load sensing ystem. Proc. IMECE’96, ASME, 1996.
- M. Linjama, M. Huova, M. Vilenius, On stability and dynamic characteristics of hydraulic drives with distributed valves, in: D.N. Johnston (Ed.), Power transmission and motion control 2007, University of Bath, UK 2007, pp. 67–79.
- M. Elfving, J.O. Palmberg, Distributed control of fluid power actuators—decoupled hamber pressure controlled cylinder, Proceedings of the 9th Bath International Fluid Power Workshop, Bath, UK, 1996.
- M. Elfving, A concept for a distributed controller of fluid power actuators(Dissertation) College of Mechanical Engineering, Linköping University, Sweden, 1997.
- B. Eriksson, J. Larsson, J.-O. Palmberg, Study on Individual Pressure Control in Energy Efficient Cylinder Drives, in: M. Ivantysynova (Ed.), 4th FPNI-phD Symposium, Sarasota, USA 2006, pp. 77–99.
- B. Eriksson, M. Rosth, J.-O. Palmberg, Energy saving system utilizing LQ-technique design, in: Y.X. Lu, Q.F. Wang, et al., (Eds.),Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Fluid power transmission and control, Hangzhou, China 2009, pp. 224–229.
- Q. Yuan, J. Lew, Modelling and Control of Two Stage Twin Spool Servo-Valve for Energy-Saving, American Control Conference; Portland, USA, 2005.
- B. Nielsen, Controller Development for a Separate Meter- In Separate Meter-Out Fluid Power Valve for Mobile Applications( Dissertation) Aalborg University, Denmark, 2005.
- B. Yao, L. Song, Energy-saving control of hydraulic systems with novel programmable valves, The 4th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, 4, IEEE Press, Shanghai 2002, pp. 3219–3223.
- L. Song, B. Yao, Coordinate control of energy saving programmable valves, IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology 16 (1) (2008) 34–45.
- P. Opdenbosch, N. Sadegh, W.J. Book, Modeling and control of an electro-hydraulic poppet valve, Fluid Power Systems & Technology Division-ASME 11 (2004) 103–110.
- P. Opdenbosch, N. Sadegh, W.J. Book, Intelligent controls for electro-hydraulic poppet valves, Control Engineering Practice 21 (2013) 789–796.
- A. Hansen, T. Andersen, H. Pedersen, L. Wachmann, Investigation of energy saving separatemeter-in separate meter- out control strategies, 12th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, SICFP '11, Tampere, Finland, 2011.
- Linjama, Matti. "Is it time for digital hydraulics?." The proceedings of the 5th Scandinavian Int. Conf. on Fluid Power, SICFP'03, May 7-9, Tampere, Finland. 2003.
- X. Liang. On Improving Energy Utilization in Hydraulic Booms. PhD thesis, Acta Polytechnica Scandinavia: Mechanical Engineering Series, 2002.
- Salter, Stephen H., and William HS Rampen. "Pump control method and poppet valve therefor." U.S. Patent No. 5,190,446. 2 Mar. 1993.
- Liang, X., & Virvalo, T. (2001). What’s wrong with energy utilization in hydraulic cranes. In The 5th international conference on fluid power transmission and control.
- Heybroek, K., Larsson, J., & Palmberg, J. O. (2007). Mode switching and energy recuperation in open-circuit pump control.
- Ho, T. H., & Ahn, K. K. (2009, August). Saving energy control of cylinder drive using hydraulic transformer combined with an assisted hydraulic circuit. In ICCAS-SICE, 2009 (pp. 2115-2120). IEEE.
- Achten, P., van den Brink, T., Potma, J., Schellekens, M., & Vael, G. (2009, June). A four-quadrant hydraulic transformer for hybrid vehicles. In 11th Scandinavian International Conference on Fluid Power, Linköping, Sweden.
- Luo, X., Sun, H., & Wang, J. (2011, June). An energy efficient pneumatic-electrical system and control strategy development. In American Control Conference (ACC), 2011 (pp. 4743-4748). IEEE.
Mirzaliev, Sanjar and Sharipov, Kongratbay
"A Review of Energy Efficient Fluid Power Systems: Fluid Power Impact on Energy, Emissions and Economics,"
Acta of Turin Polytechnic University in Tashkent: Vol. 9
, Article 9.
Available at: https://uzjournals.edu.uz/actattpu/vol9/iss4/9